You are currently viewing Fall Safety Tips – Getting Ready for Winter
autumn leaves, very shallow focus

Fall Safety Tips – Getting Ready for Winter

  1. Have your furnace cleaned and checked for operating safety. We see everything from faulty pilots to birds’ nests in furnace exhausts. This can result in fires or carbon monoxide poisoning.
  2. Check your fireplace flue before burning any fires. Have a professional firm clean your fireplace and chimney before the winter use.
  3. Place a carbon monoxide detector in a central location on every floor and check batteries regularly. Carbon monoxide is odorless and can kill. Keep your family safe with working detectors that will sound an alarm if the gas is present.
  4. Toss out frayed cords! This includes cords pets may have chewed on! Frayed or damaged cords mean fire hazard.
  5. Never run cords under carpet or rugs. Cords may overheat and carpet and rugs then become tinder for fires.
  6. Only use space heaters with safety switches! Throw out or recycle older models that do not have safety switches. The switches are designed to turn the heater off if it tips over – avoiding fires.
  7. Never use extension cords for space heaters. Heaters should plug in directly to the wall. They draw a lot of energy and can easily overwhelm the capacity of an extension cord, causing fire.
  8. Do not place anything on a space heater. Objects placed on a heater can easily ignite and cause a fire. Avoid placing anything on a room heater – no blankets, newspaper, gift wrap or decorations, coloring books or other items.
  9. Use a hydronic type space heater rather than an electric resistance type heater. Hydronic type heaters are a safer alternative.